Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Just Some Things






The last few days have been so wonderfully lazy and warm.  Over the last few years, the end of summer always had me feeling a little blue because I knew that it would be time to send my girl away every day and I so love having her with me.  There was a level of anxiety that set in knowing that I would have to adjust my schedule to running back and forth not only to school for regular drop off and pick ups, but also the fundraisers, the special events and the field trips.  I know those things don't sound like a big deal, but when you have a 2 year old who still naps, it could be quite stressful and disruptive to the day.   This year, that stress is nowhere in sight.  In fact, the next few weeks are gearing up for a lot of fun for us!  We've been getting the house in order and organized for schooling, taking care of all of the end of summer/fall yard work and filling up the  calendar with loads of activities.  Two of the things I'm most excited about are the Indian Summer Fest as well as the Wade House Civil War Reenactment.
 We have taken Avrie to the Indian Summer Fest since we moved to Wisconsin.  She has always loved the traditional Native American music, and what child doesn't love all of the beautiful colors and dancing?  It's such a great way to introduce another culture up close and personal and we always have such a wonderful time.  In fact, a few years ago, it prompted a trip to New Mexico where we attended the Gathering Of Nations Pow Wow.  Such an amazing and spiritual experience!
My Dad is a big Civil war enthusiast and when we were growing up, he took my brother and I to a lot of camps.  None were as big as the Wade House reenactment.  I can't wait to see (and yes photograph) Avrie's face during the full scale battle.  In my opinion, there is no better way to connect with learning than through hands on, interactive experiences.  
She's been reading up online about the different battles, so that she has an idea of what's going on when we get there!  We're also exploring together, the connection between the Civil War and the Indian Wars that were happening at the same time. My hope is that we can, in a way, tie our 2 excursions together to make a really exciting cultural/historical experience that has more meaning than either would have standing alone.
While Avrie reads and Evellyn naps, I've been taking the opportunity to do some spinning.  My days have become insanely organized.  At first I thought it would be stressful, but I am finding that the more structured my day becomes, the easier things are to manage.  I actually have a spreadsheet for my day that includes workout times, school schedules, outside activities as well as personal time for spinning and knitting.  I know, I know...it sounds crazy, but it's easier for me to look at a list throughout the day for time management and if it works, then it works.  At some point I'm sure I won't need the list, like putting aside a recipe for something you've made a thousand times...but we shall see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment